See Miami is the Miami art world as seen by students of the FIU Honors College.
SEE MIAMI FORMAT
The “See Miami” project must be in the following format. Students should think of the project as an academic reflection guide. The project should be an honest assessment of the art institution, examining both the positive and negative. The total word count must be a minimum of 2000 words. Unless photos are of a historical nature, all images must be original by the student.
Introduce yourself in a brief bio.
Describe where is the art institution located. Explore the relationship to the surrounding community.
Provide a thorough, researched, and cited history of the art institution.
Reproduce and explain the mission of the institution.
How accessible is the institution? Are there discounts for students? residents? What are the benefits of membership?
Highlight and describe the major works of the permanent collection of the institution. Highlight three artworks.
List and describe temporary exhibitions of the institution.
List and describe events organized by the institution.
Interview a visitor to the institution.
Interview an employee of the institution.
Assess the institution. What works? What doesn’t?
Similar to a research paper, all sources must be cited in MLA format for all projects. If you utilize an existing film for inspiration or incorporate clips or pictures from someone else, you must cite those. Failure to do is plagiarism.
MLA Format (in-text citations required)
Bailly’s Guide to Image Rights & Usage
These following factors will be considered in determining the project grade:
- Research! The student must demonstrate a thoroughly researched knowledge of subjects.
- The student must tackle Big Ideas-culture, history, religion, philosophy, economic disparity, sexuality, gender, race, to name a few.
- The student should not shy away from controversial subjects or opinions.
- The student should explain the nature of her/his connection to the subject.
- Subjects should be discussed in a broader cultural and historical context. Others should be able to relate to the points made in the project.
- Students should aim for originality in text and in the photo.
- The student is not expected to be a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Writing nor Photography. S/he is only expected to put forth maximum effort.
See Miami Directory
Art Society Conflict
EDITOR AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 26 August 2020
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED